1. What is the speed limit for campervans in Denmark?
The general speed limit for campervans in Denmark is 80 km/h on open roads and 50 km/h in built-up areas. On motorways, the limit is typically 130 km/h, however, it lowers to 80 km/h if your campervan exceeds a weight of 3.5 tonnes.
2. Do I need a special driving license to drive a campervan in Copenhagen?
No special license is required to drive a campervan in Denmark. However, valid domestic driver's licenses (issued in EU/EEA countries) must be carried along. Non-EU/EEA license holders may need an International Driving Permit.
3. Are there many speed cameras in Copenhagen?
Yes, speed cameras are used throughout Denmark, including Copenhagen. They get routinely moved around, so it is safest to stick to the speed limits at all times.
4. Is it expensive to drive through toll roads in Denmark?
While most roads in Denmark are toll-free, certain bridges and tunnels fare chargeable. You can make these payments at the booths or electronically via an OBE (On-Board Equipment) device.
5. What are the general driving rules in Copenhagen?
In Denmark, vehicles are driven on the right-hand side of the road, and overtaking is done from the left. Keep ample distance from the vehicle in front and use indicators when changing lanes.
6. Where can I park my campervan overnight in Copenhagen?
The designated parking areas are the safest choice for overnight parking. Some campsites around Copenhagen allow campervan parking.
7. Is traffic usually heavy in Copenhagen?
While Copenhagen roads can get busy during rush hours, the city has an efficient traffic management system. Understanding peak traffic hours can help plan your travel better.
8. Are there any specific safety rules to know while driving a campervan in Denmark?
Seat belts are mandatory for all passengers. Use of mobile phones without a hands-free kit is illegal, and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is strictly prohibited.
9. How are the road conditions in Denmark?
Denmark boasts of excellent road conditions. Roads are well-maintained, signposted, and equipped with modern safety features.
10. Are there services and rest areas along Denmark roads?
Yes, service areas with petrol stations, restaurants, and restrooms are available along the motorways. Some also offer areas for campervans to stop and rest overnight.
11. Can I drive a campervan anywhere in Denmark?
Generally, you can go anywhere your license permits, except for roads labelled 'private'. Note that some roads or park entrances may have height or weight restrictions that could affect campervans.
12. What happens if I drive over the speed limit in Denmark?
If you exceed the speed limit in Denmark, you could face a hefty fine. Persistent or extreme cases of speeding can lead to a driving ban.
13. Is driving a campervan in Copenhagen different from other places in Denmark?
Driving rules are uniform throughout Denmark. However, in larger cities like Copenhagen, you may encounter busier traffic, more bicycles, and more limited parking options.
14. How can I pay for parking in Copenhagen?
In many areas, you can use a mobile app, credit card, or coins at parking meters. Camping sites typically charge a flat fee for overnight parking.
15. How can I ensure safe driving in adverse weather conditions in Denmark?
Check weather forecasts before setting out, especially in winter. Always remember to adjust your speed to suit the road conditions, and turn on the headlights when visibility is low.