1. Which side of the road do I drive on in Athens?
In Athens, and all over Greece, you should drive on the right side of the road.
2. Where can I park my campervan in Athens?
Parking rules may vary depending on the area. Be sure to check for signs and restrictions where you park. Some areas may require a parking fee.
3. What's the speed limit for a campervan in Athens?
The speed limit in cities like Athens is typically 50 km/h. However, in expressways, the speed limit can reach up to 130 km/h.
4. Do I have to adhere to any special driving laws in Athens?
Yes, traffic laws in Athens are similar to other European cities. You are required to have your driving licence, insurance papers and ID with you at all times while driving.
5. Can I drive in Athens with my foreign driving licence?
Yes, you can drive in Athens with a foreign driving licence, but it must be written in English or accompanied by an International Driving Permit.
6. Are there many toll roads in Athens, and how can I pay?
There are several toll roads in and around Athens. Cash and major credit cards are generally accepted at toll booths.
7. Are there many speed cameras in Athens?
Yes, speed cameras are frequent in Athens and throughout Greece. To avoid fines, always adhere to the speed limit.
8. Can I drive outside of Athens with my campervan?
Yes, you're allowed to drive throughout the country, as long as you adhere to the traffic rules and the specifications of your campervan hire agreement.
9. What should I do in case of a traffic accident in Athens?
If involved in an accident, you should always inform the police and your campervan hire company as soon as possible, even if the damage is minor.
10. Are there any specific times when traffic is especially heavy in Athens?
Rush hour in Athens is typically from 8:00 to 9:00 in the morning and 5:00 to 6:00 in the afternoon. Try to avoid driving during these times, if possible.
11. What driving behaviours should I avoid in Athens?
Avoid overtaking from the right and always respect speed limits. Tailgating is also strongly frowned upon.
12. Are there any pedestrian-only areas in Athens?
Yes, there are areas in Athens which are pedestrian-only. Take note of signposts and avoid these areas with your vehicle.
13. Can I park my campervan overnight anywhere in Athens?
This will depend on local regulations, which can change between different neighbourhoods in Athens. Look out for any signs or ask locals for advice to avoid parking fines.
14. Are there any specific safety rules for driving a campervan in Athens?
Basic driving safety rules apply - Everybody on board should use their seatbelts at all times. Moreover, you should take care to secure all loose items within the campervan before moving.
15. How are the roads in rural areas outside of Athens?
Most roads are in good condition; however, some rural, mountainous areas may have narrow and winding roads which can be challenging to navigate, especially for larger vehicles like campervans.