1. What is the speed limit when driving in Nelspruit?
The general urban speed limit in Nelspruit, like most South African cities, is 60 km/h. However, on highways and expressways, the limit can reach 120 km/h. Always follow posted signage as it may change.
2. Do I need an International Driving Licence to drive in Nelspruit?
If your driving licence is not in English, you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive a campervan in Nelspruit. However, if your licence is in English with your photo and signature, it is generally accepted.
3. Are there any driving rules specific to South Africa?
Yes, South Africa drives on the left-hand side of the road, and the steering wheel is on the right-hand side of the vehicle. Always give way to the right at any circular intersections.
4. Are there speed cameras or radar in Nelspruit?
Yes, there are both fixed and mobile speed cameras in and around Nelspruit. Fines for speeding can be high, so it's advisable to adhere to speed limits at all times.
5. Are there toll roads around Nelspruit?
Yes, toll roads are found on major highways across South Africa, including around Nelspruit. You can either pay in cash or use a debit/credit card at toll stations.
6. Are there specific parking rules for campervans in Nelspruit?
No specific rules are set for campervans, but it's important to follow common parking rules. Do not park in areas where parking is prohibited or in spots reserved for specific vehicles.
7. Is it safe to park and sleep overnight in a campervan in Nelspruit?
While South Africa is generally a safe country, it is always advisable to stay at campsites or secure overnight parking areas specifically designed for campervans.
8. Is the traffic in Nelspruit heavy?
Traffic can get congested during peak hours (morning and late afternoon) but is less dense at other times throughout the day. It's advisable to plan your travel to avoid these periods.
9. Can I use my foreign driving licence in Nelspruit?
Yes, foreign driving licences are valid in Nelspruit provided they are in English and contain a photograph and signature of the holder.
10. How should I behave at pedestrian crossings?
Drivers are required to give way to pedestrians at marked crossings. It's important to slow down and be alert as you approach these areas.
11. What should I do in case of a breakdown?
If your campervan breaks down, pull over to the side of the road as far as possible and turn on your hazard lights. Call your campervan hire company immediately for assistance.
12. What should I do in case of an accident?
If you are involved in a minor accident, move your vehicle to a safe place nearby if possible. Exchange information with the other party and contact your campervan hire company as soon as possible.
13. Is there a penalty for driving in bus lanes?
Yes, in Nelspruit driving in bus lanes is generally prohibited unless otherwise signposted. Offenders can be penalized with a fine.
14. Can I drive off-road in Nelspruit with my campervan?
Generally, campervans are not designed for off-road driving. It is best to stick to the designated roads unless your vehicle is specifically equipped for off-road adventures.
15. Are there any specific safety rules I need to be aware of when driving in Nelspruit?
In Nelspruit, as in the rest of South Africa, the use of car seat belts is mandatory. Be mindful of the increased presence of wildlife on rural roads, especially at night.