1. What is the general speed limit in Nelson?
The general speed limit in urban areas in Nelson, and throughout New Zealand, is 50 km/h. However, on highways and motorways the limit is typically 100 km/h. Always look for posted signage as speed limits can vary.
2. Do I need an international driving license to drive a campervan in Nelson?
Foreign travellers can drive in New Zealand with an International Driving Permit or a driver's license in English from their home country, valid for up to 12 months from entry into New Zealand.
3. Are there speed cameras in Nelson?
Yes, throughout New Zealand, including Nelson, there are speed cameras and the police often perform random speed checks.
4. Will I encounter toll roads while driving in Nelson?
While there are a few toll roads in New Zealand, Nelson is not known to have any. It's recommended to research your intended route in advance to be prepared.
5. Are there any special driving rules in New Zealand that I should be aware of?
Yes, in New Zealand they drive on the left side of the road and it's mandatory to give way to all vehicles crossing or approaching from your right.
6. Where can I park my campervan in Nelson?
Nelson provides a variety of campervan parks. However, it's always recommended to park at designated campsites or holiday parks.
7. What should I know about the traffic in Nelson?
Traffic situations can change rapidly in Nelson, especially during peak hours. It's recommended to keep track of local traffic news for any major changes or incidents.
8. Is driving at night safe in Nelson?
Driving at night in Nelson is generally safe, but extra caution should be taken due to reduced visibility and potential wildlife on rustic roads.
9. How can I familiarize myself with New Zealand's road signs?
The New Zealand Transport Authority provides resources online and in print that explain all local road signs.
10. Are there pedestrian crossings in Nelson?
Yes. Pedestrians in New Zealand have right of way at marked pedestrian crossings.
11. In case of a breakdown, who should I contact in Nelson?
In case of a breakdown, contact your campervan hire company, who will direct you to the appropriate service.
12. Are there any specific safety regulations for campervan driving?
General traffic rules apply to campervans, but also ensure your campervan is properly equipped with safety gear such as a fire extinguisher, and that you drive at a speed safe for the vehicle's size and weight.
13. Can I drive off-road in my campervan?
Generally, off-roading is not recommended with a campervan and can also be against the hire agreement terms.
14. How should I handle roundabouts in Nelson?
In New Zealand, vehicles already on the roundabout have right of way. Make sure to indicate your exit one exit before your own.
15. Are mobile homes allowed on all roads in New Zealand?
Most roads are permitted, but some roads may have restrictions due to weight and size limitations of the vehicle. Always check in advance with your campervan hiring agency.