1. What side of the road should I drive on in Alicante?
In Alicante, and throughout Spain, you should always drive on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What is the speed limit for campervans in Alicante?
The speed limit for campervans on Spanish motorways is 90km/h, on main roads it's 80km/h, and in urban areas it's 50km/h.
3. Do I need an international driving licence to drive a campervan in Alicante?
If you have a valid driving licence issued by any EU country, you do not need an international driving licence to drive in Alicante or the rest of Spain. However, if your licence is issued by a non-EU country, you will need an international licence.
4. Where can I park my campervan in Alicante?
Alicante has several dedicated motorhome parking areas. However, these can get busy during the high season, so it's best to arrive early to secure a spot.
5. Are there any specific road rules I need to be aware of when driving a campervan in Alicante?
You must adhere to the same general rules of the road as other drivers, including the use of seatbelts at all times and giving way to the right. Remember to adjust your speeds to road conditions and be especially careful in residential and school areas.
6. Can I drive a campervan in the city centre of Alicante?
Yes, you can drive a campervan in the city centre of Alicante, but due to narrow streets, it may be more convenient to park outside and use public transport or walk.
7. Are there many speed cameras in Alicante?
Yes, Alicante has a number of speed cameras in operation. They are often located in areas where the speed limit changes, such as at the entrance to towns or roadworks.
8. Are toll roads common in Alicante and Spain?
Toll roads are common in Spain. They are especially prevalent on the motorways that connect larger cities. Your route and the time of year will determine how much you can expect to pay in tolls.
9. What can I do if I get a traffic fine in Alicante?
If you get a traffic fine in Alicante, you should pay it as soon as possible. Some fines offer a discount if paid within a certain period.
10. What's the rule for roundabouts in Alicante?
When approaching a roundabout, you should give way to traffic already on the roundabout coming from your left. It's also important to signal your exit from the roundabout.
11. Are there any specific regulations regarding pollution in Alicante?
While Alicante does not currently have any emission zone regulations, it's still important to minimize your campervan's emissions by maintaining it properly and avoiding unnecessary idling.
12. What is the Spanish word for campervan and will I see it on signs?
The Spanish term for campervan is 'autocaravana'. You may see it on signs indicating campervan services or parking areas.
13. Are there any times of day when driving is restricted in Alicante?
No, there are no time restrictions for driving in Alicante. However, it's always sensible to plan your routes and rest stops to avoid driving when tired.
14. Can I use my campervan to sleep anywhere in Alicante?
While you may be tempted to park up and sleep anywhere, it's important to use designated overnight parking spots in Alicante. This generally offers better security and facilities.
15. How can I prepare for a campervan trip in Alicante?
Before setting out on your journey, you should ensure your vehicle is in good working order. Make sure you understand all the local driving regulations, have a GPS or updated map and keep emergency numbers at hand, should you need them.