1. What are the speed limits in and around San Sebastian?
The speed limit in cities, including San Sebastian, is typically 50 km/h, out of town it's 90 km/h, and on motorways and dual carriageways it's 120 km/h.
2. What kind of driving licence do I need to drive a campervan in San Sebastian?
If you hold a driving licence issued by a European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country, you can drive in San Sebastian and throughout Spain. Non-EU/EEA drivers may require an International Driving Licence along with their valid national driving licence.
3. Are there many speed cameras around San Sebastian?
Spain, including the region of San Sebastian, has a high number of speed cameras, both hidden and visible. It's crucial to respect the speed limits to avoid fines.
4. Do I have to pay tolls on the roads around San Sebastian?
Many of the motorways around San Sebastian and throughout Spain have tolls, particularly those leading to and from major cities. It's advisable to have an up-to-date GPS and change for toll payments.
5. What are the key rules of driving safety in San Sebastian?
As anywhere, in San Sebastian you should always drive defensively, maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front and use indicator lights when changing lanes and turning. It´s mandatory to wear a seat belt at all times and headlights should be used in tunnels, during poor visibility and always when driving on motorways and dual carriageways.
6. Where can I park my campervan in San Sebastian?
San Sebastian offers a number of public car parks suitable for campervans, in both street parking areas as well as dedicated car parks. Additionally, there are a number of campsites with facilities.
7. How heavy is the traffic in San Sebastian?
Like in any city, traffic in San Sebastian can be heavier during rush hours, typically in the morning and late afternoon. In addition, summertime or during local festivals, the city can get quite busy.
8. On which side of the road should I drive?
In Spain, including San Sebastian, it's mandatory to drive on the right-hand side of the road.
9. Are there specific driving rules for campervan in San Sebastian?
The same rules apply for campervans as for any other vehicles unless otherwise signposted. It's important to remember that campervans may be limited in driving and parking in certain zones and roads due to their size and weight.
10. Are there rest areas or dedicated parkings for campervans along Spanish motorways?
Yes, Spanish motorways typically have frequent rest areas. Some offer specific parking places for larger vehicles like campervans. There are also dedicated overnight campervan parking areas, known as "areas de servicio", throughout the country.
11. How to deal with roundabouts in San Sebastian?
Roundabouts are common in Spain. When using a roundabout, remember to drive anticlockwise and give way to traffic already on the roundabout coming from the left.
12. Is it necessary to carry specific equipment in the campervan?
In Spain, it is mandatory to carry two warning triangles and a reflective jacket in your vehicle. So make sure these are in your campervan.
13. Do I need to have specific insurance to drive a campervan in San Sebastian?
Just like any other vehicle, campervans need to be covered by a third-party liability insurance, so ensure your campervan is insured before hitting the road.
14. What precautions should I take while parking the campervan overnight in San Sebastian?
Always park in a recognised camping area or designated overnight parking area for campervans. Avoid leaving any valuable items visible from outside and make sure all the doors and windows are locked.
15. What if I encounter roadworks in San Sebastián?
Traffic signs will guide you in case of roadworks. Sometimes, roadworks can cause temporary speed limit reductions, so it's essential to always pay attention to signage while driving.