1. Which side of the road should I drive on in Alice Springs?
In Alice Springs, and the rest of Australia, you must drive on the left-hand side of the road.
2. Do I need an International Driving Licence to drive in Alice Springs?
If your licence is in English, you can use it to drive in Alice Springs. If it's not in English, you'll need an International Driving Permit.
3. What are the typical speed limits in Alice Springs and around Australia?
In Alice Springs, the maximum speed limit in urban areas is usually 50 km/h and 100 km/h in rural areas. On highways, the limit could be up to 130 km/h.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Alice Springs?
Yes, both fixed and mobile speed cameras are used in Alice Springs as well as throughout the Northern Territory.
5. Are there toll roads in Alice Springs?
No, there are no toll roads in Alice Springs or in the rest of the Northern Territory.
6. What are the vehicle seat laws when driving a campervan?
All passengers in the campervan must have their own dedicated seat. All seats must have seatbelts, and they must be worn at all times.
7. What should I do if I breakdown in a rural area around Alice Springs?
If you breakdown in a rural area, it's advisable to stay with your vehicle until help arrives. Have a breakdown kit and a spare tyre in your campervan.
8. Is it common to see wildlife on the roads in and around Alice Springs?
Yes it is. Particularly at dawn and dusk, keep an eye out for wildlife on the road, especially kangaroos.
9. Are there parking restrictions in Alice Springs?
Yes, there are parking restrictions in the city centre. Always check the signage for time limits and any restrictions.
10. Can I park my campervan anywhere in Alice Springs?
No, when parking your campervan, you must comply with the town's parking laws. This could include restrictions on parking oversized vehicles in certain areas.
11. What are some key road rules in Alice Springs?
Generally, you must keep to the left, obey speed limits, don´t use a mobile phone while driving, and always wear a seatbelt.
12. Where can I find traffic information for Alice Springs and surrounding areas?
The Northern Territory government website gives up-to-date road condition information. Also, tune into local radio for regular traffic updates.
13. Can I drive off-road with my campervan?
Off-road driving can be restricted. Always check when you hire the campervan, as driving on non-sealed roads can void the insurance.
14. What age restrictions apply for driving a campervan in Alice Springs?
Generally, to hire a campervan in Alice Springs, drivers must be at least 21 years old and hold a full licence.
15. Can I overtake other vehicles while driving a campervan?
Yes, you can overtake when it is safe to do so. However, remember larger vehicles like campervans may take longer to overtake due to their size.