1. On which side of the road do I drive in Launceston?
In Launceston, as in the rest of the country, you must drive on the left side of the road.
2. What are the speed limit rules in Launceston?
Speed limits vary depending on the type of roads. For residential areas it is typically 50 km/h, while on major roads and highways it can be 100 km/h or more. Always check for posted speed limit signs.
3. Do I need a specific driving licence to drive a campervan in Launceston?
You will need a valid driving licence that´s written in English. However, if your driving licence is not in English, you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) alongside your licence.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Launceston?
Yes, there are speed cameras throughout Launceston and its suburbs, they are there to enforce the speed limits and promote road safety.
5. Are there toll roads in Launceston?
No, there are no toll roads in Launceston or Tasmania. Therefore, you can travel freely without worrying about stopping to pay toll fees.
6. What are the main driving rules in Launceston?
Aside from driving on the left side of the road and obeying the speed limits, some other essential rules include not passing school buses when they are picking up or dropping off children, and giving way to the right at roundabouts.
7. How can I improve my driving safety in Launceston?
Be sure to always wear your seatbelt, follow the speed limits, rest regularly on long trips, and avoid driving in extreme weather conditions if possible.
8. Where are the parking zones for campervans in Launceston?
There are several campervan-friendly parking areas in Launceston - both free and paid - available for you to use. Check local signs for restrictions.
9. How is the traffic in Launceston?
Launceston, like any city, can get busy during typical rush hours. Plan your driving accordingly to avoid getting stuck in traffic.
10. What happens if I get caught speeding in Launceston?
If you are caught speeding, you will be issued a fine and potentially demerit points on your driving record. Serious offences may even result in the suspension of your driving licenses.
11. When are the peak traffic times in Launceston?
The busiest traffic in Launceston is typically during the morning and evening rush hours, generally between 7-9am and 4-6pm.
12. Can I park my campervan anywhere in Launceston?
No, you cannot park your campervan just anywhere in Launceston. You need to look for designated parking places, and obey any local parking restrictions and laws.
13. Are there many roundabouts in Launceston?
Yes, there are a number of roundabouts in Launceston for efficient traffic flow. Drivers must give way to vehicles already on the roundabout.
14. Can I hire a campervan in Launceston with my overseas driving licence?
You can hire a campervan in Launceston if you have a valid driving licence from your home country, but if it is not in English, then you also need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
15. How can I find out about current road conditions and hazards in Launceston?
You can check local news and weather updates for current road conditions. It is also advised to check the Tasmania police website for any reported hazards or incidents.