1. On which side of the road should we drive in Wigan and the UK?
In Wigan, and throughout the entire United Kingdom, you should drive on the left-hand side of the road.
2. What are the general speed limits in Wigan and the UK?
In urban areas, like Wigan, the speed limit is usually 30 miles per hour. However, these limits may vary on main roads, highways and motorways. It's strongly advised to always look for signs indicating the speed limit in your current location.
3. Is it compulsory to have a driving licence to drive a campervan in Wigan?
Yes, you must hold a valid full UK driving licence to drive a campervan in Wigan and throughout the UK.
4. Can a non-UK driving licence be used in Wigan?
If you're visiting the UK from abroad, you can drive with your foreign licence for up to 12 months. However, specific details vary depending on your country of origin so it is always advisable to check the specifics from the official UK government website.
5. Are there speed cameras in Wigan and the UK?
Yes, there are several types of speed cameras used in the UK. These include Gatso, Truvelo, HADECS, average speed, mobile and variable speed-limit cameras. Always remember, for your safety as well as others, to respect the speed limits.
6. Where can we park a campervan in Wigan?
There are several designated areas in and around Wigan where you can safely park a campervan. It's always recommended to use these rather than risk fines by parking inappropriately.
7. What are the rules for using toll roads in the UK?
Toll roads, bridges and tunnels are not common in the UK, however, they are present in some areas. Signs will clearly mark these and fees can often be paid in cash, by card, or by an electronic tag.
8. How busy is the traffic in Wigan and the UK?
Traffic can get heavy during peak hours in Wigan, especially in the morning and evening on weekdays. Motorways can also get busy during weekends and school holidays.
9. What are motorway service areas and can we stop there with a campervan?
Service areas are provided regularly on motorways across the UK, offering food, toilet facilities, and places to rest. Yes, you can stop there with a campervan.
10. Can I drive a campervan into congestion charge zones in Wigan and the UK?
Yes, you can drive into congestion charge zones, but you will be required to pay a charge. Charges may vary and it's recommended checking with official websites for current charge rates.
11. What should I do if I break down in a campervan within Wigan or in the UK?
If your campervan breaks down, you should contact your hire company or breakdown cover provider as soon as possible. They can then help you with the next steps.
12. Are roundabouts common in Wigan and the UK?
Yes, roundabouts are a common feature on UK roads. You must always give way to traffic coming from the right and use your indicators correctly when exiting the roundabout.
13. Is it allowed to park a campervan anywhere for the night in Wigan and the UK?
Generally, you are not allowed to park anywhere for the night. Look for designated campervan parking sites, campsites or rest areas.
14. Is it mandatory to use child seats in a campervan in Wigan and the UK?
Yes, anyone travelling with children must ensure they're correctly restrained with a child car seat, booster seat or seat belt, depending on the child's age and size.
15. What are the rules for sharing the road with pedestrians and horse riders in Wigan and the UK?
UK Highway Code stipulates that drivers should be very careful to safely share road space with pedestrians and horse riders. Drivers should always give them enough room and reduce speed where necessary.