1. Which side of the road should I drive on in Bergamo?
In Bergamo, as in all of Italy, driving is on the right side of the road.
2. What is the speed limit in Bergamo?
In urban areas like Bergamo, the speed limit is generally 50km/h. On main roads outside cities, the limit is 90km/h, and on highways, it can reach 130km/h.
3. Can I drive in Bergamo with my foreign driving licence?
Yes, most foreign driving licences are accepted in Italy. However, it is advised to get an International Driving Permit if your licence is not in Italian.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Bergamo?
Bergamo, like many Italian cities, does have speed cameras. It's advisable always to obey the speed limits.
5. How can I avoid getting a traffic fine in Bergamo?
Avoid fines by observing speed limits, parking regulations and other road laws. Remember, Italy has strict rules against drink-driving and you must always wear your seatbelt.
6. Are parking zones clearly marked for campervans in Bergamo?
Yes, parking areas for campervans are usually well indicated. However, it's recommended to check local signs and restrictions before parking.
7. How bad is the traffic in Bergamo?
Traffic in Bergamo can be busy, especially during peak hours in the morning and early evening. Planning your journey in advance can help avoid congestion.
8. Are there many toll roads around Bergamo?
Yes, many of Italy's highways, including those around Bergamo, are toll roads. Prepare to pay these as needed during your journey.
9. What driving rules should I be aware of in Bergamo?
Some important rules include giving way to traffic from the right, not using your horn in populated areas unless in an emergency, and observing zebra crossings, where pedestrians have right of way.
10. How do I pay tolls in and around Bergamo?
Tolls can be paid in cash or card at the toll booth, or by using a Telepass, an electronic system that automatically calculates and charges tolls.
11. Are there specific safety rules for driving a campervan in Bergamo?
Driving a campervan in Bergamo follows the same general safety rules as driving any other vehicle. However, always be mindful of your vehicle's size, especially in narrow city streets.
12. Are campervans allowed to drive in all areas of Bergamo?
In general, campervans can go wherever cars are permitted. However, some city areas may have restrictions. It's best to check local regulations.
13. What types of roads should I expect in Bergamo?
Bergamo has a variety of road types, from well-maintained motorways to winding, narrower city streets. Always drive according to the road conditions.
14. Are roads in Bergamo suitable for large vehicles like a campervan?
Most roads in Bergamo are suitable for campervans. However, some streets, particularly in older parts of the city, can be narrow and challenging for larger vehicles.
15. How do I navigate through the city of Bergamo with a campervan?
A modern GPS or smartphone navigation app can guide you on the most suitable routes for larger vehicles. It's also advisable to plan your route in advance and avoid narrow, busy city centre streets where possible.