1. What side of the road do we drive on in Cagliari and its country, Italy?
In Italy, including Cagliari, we drive on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What types of driving licenses are accepted in Cagliari?
Italy accepts driving licenses issued by any EU countries. Drivers from non-EU countries will need an International Driving Permit along with their valid driving license.
3. What are the speed limits in Cagliari?
In urban areas like Cagliari, the limit is usually 50 km/h. Outside towns, the limit can raise to 90 km/h, and on motorways, it is 130 km/h. Always observe posted speed limit signs as these may vary.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Cagliari?
Yes, throughout Italy, including Cagliari, there are both mobile and fixed speed cameras. They are particularly common in urban areas and on major motorways.
5. Can I park my campervan anywhere in Cagliari?
No, you should always check for signage. Residential areas mostly require a permit and many areas in the city centre are limited to vehicles with special permits.
6. Is it easy to find designated campervan parking zones in Cagliari?
You'll find several designated campervan parking areas in Cagliari, especially near tourist attractions, but availability might be limited during high season.
7. Are there toll roads in Cagliari?
Yes, many highways in Italy, including those in the region of Cagliari, are toll roads. Fees vary based on vehicle size and road type.
8. Can I turn right on a red light in Cagliari?
No, turning right on a red light is generally not allowed in Italy unless otherwise indicated by a sign.
9. What should I do if I come across a ZTL zone while driving in Cagliari?
ZTL (Zona a Traffico Limitato) is a restricted traffic area in Italy. Non-residents are generally not allowed to enter without obtaining a special permit first.
10. Is traffic heavy in Cagliari?
Traffic can be heavy in Cagliari during peak hours, especially in the city centre and main tourist areas. It's advisable to plan your route and times of travel accordingly.
11. When is the best time to drive in Cagliari?
Off-peak hours are usually early morning and late evening. It's also less busy outside the summer months, between October and April.
12. How are the road conditions in Cagliari?
Road conditions in Cagliari and the rest of Italy are generally good, but less maintained in rural and mountainous areas. Always be cautious when driving in unfamiliar areas.
13. What should I do in case of a road traffic accident in Cagliari?
Ensure everybody´s safe, then inform the police. Contact your campervan hire company as soon as possible and don't admit liability until you've spoken to them.
14. Is it compulsory to carry a reflective safety vest and a warning triangle in the campervan while driving in Cagliari?
Yes, it's mandatory in Italy to carry a reflective safety vest and a warning triangle. They'll usually be included as part of your campervan hire.
15. Is it possible to use a hands-free device while driving a campervan in Cagliari?
Yes, using a hands-free device is allowed; using a handset while driving is not.