1. Which side of the road should I drive on in Naples?
In Naples, like in the rest of Italy, driving is on the right side of the road.
2. What are the speed limits in Naples?
The speed limits in Naples are: 50km/h in built-up areas, 90km/h outside built-up areas, 110km/h on non-urban fast traffic roads and 130km/h on motorways, unless otherwise stated.
3. Can I use my home country's driving license?
EU citizens can use their domestic driving license. Non-EU citizens must possess an international driving permit alongside a valid domestic driving license.
4. Are there many speed cameras in Naples?
Speed cameras are common on Italian roads, including Naples, as are mobile speed cameras.
5. How do tolls work in Naples and Italy?
In Italy, motorway tolls are prevalent. You collect a ticket when entering a toll motorway and pay the toll when you exit, calculated based on distance travelled. Payment can be made by cash or card.
6. How is parking in Naples?
Parking is regulated by colour-coded lines: Blue lines indicate paid parking zones, white lines denote free parking areas but usually have a time limit, and yellow lines mean parking is restricted to specific categories (e.g. disabled permit holders, residents).
7. What are the main driving rules in Naples?
Seatbelts must be worn by all vehicle occupants. It's forbidden to use a mobile phone without a hands-free system. Right before left rule applies at intersections unless otherwise indicated.
8. How is the general traffic situation in Naples?
Naples is known for its congested traffic, especially during rush hours. It's advisable to avoid driving in the city centre and old town if possible.
9. Where can I park my campervan in Naples?
There are various campervan parking areas in and around Naples, including camping grounds and specially designated areas in car parks.
10. What are the safety guidelines for driving a campervan in Naples?
Ensure you're familiar with the vehicle's size and height before driving. Always use your seatbelt, don't exceed speed limits, keep a safe distance from the vehicle ahead and only park in designated areas.
11. What precautions should I take when driving a campervan in Naples?
Beware of the narrow and often congested streets, especially in the city's historic centre. Avoid travelling during rush hour if possible. Be aware of the various driving rules and regulations, including speed limits and parking regulations.
12. How are the road conditions in Naples and Italy?
Road conditions in Italy are generally good, however, it's important to be cautious on country roads and in mountainous regions, where roads can be narrow, windy, and poorly lit. In Naples´ city centre, streets can be narrow and crowded.
13. Is it challenging to drive a campervan in Naples?
Driving a campervan in Naples might be difficult for those unused to driving large vehicles, especially considering the city's chaotic traffic and narrow roads. However, with caution and sensible driving, it's manageable.
14. Am I required to pay an urban traffic fee in Naples?
Some Italian cities implement an urban fee to combat pollution, but as of now, Naples doesn't have a congestion charge.
15. Are there specific restrictions for campervan driving in Naples?
There are no specific restrictions for campervan driving, but pay special attention to height, weight and parking restrictions in various areas, especially in the city centre and restricted traffic zones.