1. Which side of the road should I drive on in Chichester?
In Chichester, like in the rest of the UK, you should drive on the left-hand side of the road.
2. What are the speed limits in Chichester and in the country?
In general, the speed limit in Chichester's built-up areas is 30 mph. Outside built-up areas, the limit is usually 60 mph on single-carriageway roads, and 70 mph on dual carriageways and motorways. However, speed limits may vary based on road conditions and local signage should always be observed.
3. Do I need a special driving license to drive a campervan in Chichester?
A standard B category driving licence is sufficient for most campervans. However, some larger vehicles may require a C1 category licence. It is always prudent to check the requirement with the hire company.
4. Where can I park my campervan overnight in Chichester?
Chichester has several designated parking areas for campervans. Always check local rules and regulations to ensure overnight parking is permitted.
5. Are there many speed cameras in Chichester?
Yes, like the rest of the UK, Chichester has a number of speed cameras. To avoid fines, always observe the speed limit.
6. Can I use my foreign driver's licence to drive a campervan in Chichester?
Legally, you can use a valid foreign driving licence to drive in the UK. However, rental companies may require an International Driving Permit alongside your national licence, particularly if your licence is not in English.
7. What are the toll charges in Chichester?
There are typically no toll charges in Chichester. However, tolls may apply on certain motorways in the UK, and fees vary. Always check ahead on your planned route.
8. What are the rules for indicating, merging and overtaking?
In the UK, drivers should indicate for at least three seconds before merging or overtaking. Always check blind spots and rearview mirrors, and remember to indicate again when returning to your lane.
9. Are there particular traffic hotspots to avoid in Chichester?
In general, traffic congestion in Chichester tends to occur during peak commuting hours. You may want to plan your journey to avoid these times if possible.
10. Are there rules for driving in the countryside?
When driving in the countryside, the same rules apply as in the city. However, due to narrower roads and the possibility of encountering wildlife, a more cautious driving style is recommended.
11. What are the requirements for motor insurance?
Motor insurance is a legal requirement in the UK. You should check with the hire company to ensure that appropriate cover is in place.
12. Is there a highway code I need to familiarise myself with?
Yes, the UK Highway Code applies nationwide, including in Chichester. It is advisable to familiarise yourself with it before you drive.
13. Are there any specific driving laws that are unique to Chichester?
While there may be specific traffic regulations in Chichester, the general UK driving laws apply.
14. Can I hire a campervan in Chichester with a foreign driving licence?
In most cases, you can hire a campervan with a valid driving licence from your home country, but you may also need an International Driving Permit. You should check with the hire company to make certain.
15. Are there any camping restrictions for campervans?
As many areas have restrictions on 'wild camping', it's wise to plan where you will stay each night. There are several designated campgrounds in and around Chichester for campervans.