1. On which side of the road do we drive in Montpellier?
In Montpellier, as in the rest of France, you should drive on the right-hand side of the road.
2. What is the speed limit for campervans in Montpellier?
The general speed limit in urban areas, including Montpellier, is 50 km/h. On dual carriageways it's 110 km/h, and on motorways it's 130 km/h unless signs specify otherwise.
3. Do I need a specific driving license to operate a campervan in France?
A standard UK category B car driving license is usually sufficient for driving most campervans in France, as long as the vehicle's maximum authorised mass is not more than 3,500 kg.
4. Are there numerous peage (toll road) sections in Montpellier?
Yes, a number of motorways around Montpellier require you to pay a toll. The cost varies depending on the distance travelled and the class of your vehicle.
5. Are radars operational in Montpellier?
Yes, France including Montpellier has a comprehensive system of speed cameras (radars) that can earn you a fine if you're caught speeding.
6. Can I park my campervan anywhere in Montpellier?
Not exactly. While there are dedicated campervan parking areas in Montpellier, parking on the street within the city may be restricted or regulated so it's always best to check for signs.
7. What are some key road safety rules for drivers in Montpellier?
Always adhere to the speed limit, wear your seatbelt, maintain your vehicle properly, keep your distance from the vehicle in front, avoid using your phone while driving, and don't drink and drive.
8. Is there heavy traffic in Montpellier?
Traffic can be heavy during peak hours in Montpellier, especially in central areas. Always plan your route and give yourself plenty of time for your journey.
9. How are pedestrians treated in Montpellier traffic?
In France, pedestrians have the right of way. Drivers must stop for pedestrians crossing or about to cross the road.
10. Are there dedicated lanes for motorhomes on the motorways in Montpellier?
No, there aren't specific lanes for motorhomes on the motorways around Montpellier, but lanes may be restricted for heavy goods vehicles.
11. Are roundabouts common in Montpellier?
Yes, roundabouts are a common feature on French roads including Montpellier. Remember to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout coming from your left.
12. Are there any unique driving laws in Montpellier?
Driving laws in Montpellier are the same as the rest of France. However, it's mandatory to carry a breathalyser kit in your vehicle in France - an unusual rule compared to many countries.
13. What documents do I need to carry when driving a campervan in Montpellier?
When driving in France, you always need to carry your driving licence, passport, insurance documents, vehicle registration document, and European breakdown cover policy details.
14. Do I need to wear reflective jackets in my campervan in Montpellier?
In France, it's compulsory to carry a reflective jacket for each occupant of the vehicle and a warning triangle to use in case of a breakdown or accident.
15. Are buses and trams prevalent in Montpellier's road network?
Yes, Montpellier has an extensive network of buses and trams. Always be aware of their movements, especially when driving a larger vehicle like a campervan.